Aerial Videography

Welcome to Paul Simister Photography’s Aerial Photography and Video page.

There has been lots in the press recently, good and bad, about the use of drones for aerial work. What is not often mentioned is that not just anyone can produce work commercially this way. There are regulations and rules in place to ensure that operators perform to high standards. This consists of;

  • Training
  • Producing an Operations Manual for your aircraft
  • Risk Assessment
  • Flight Test
  • Permission from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)

I am proud to say that I have completed all of the requirements and can now offer these services to my clients.

CAA Logo  Paul Simister BNUC-S 0980-14-06-01

(Civil Aviation Logo used with permission)

How high can you fly? – The legal limits for flight are 400ft (120m) vertical and 500m from the pilot. This MUST be done with the aircraft in visual sight at all times. From practice this is more than enough to suit the majority of client’s needs.

Can you fly anywhere? – The Permission for Aerial Work granted by the Civil Aviation Authority covers work anywhere in the UK. There are of course certain restrictions; no flying within 150m of buildings or property, no flying within 50m of members of the public. Both of these relate to buildings and people out of the control of the pilot. Other restrictions relate to restricted airspace, for example, London has restricted airspace and ANY aircraft must apply to the CAA for permission. This can take up to 21 days, and can be refused.

How do you manage safety on an aerial shoot? – The standard training covers the risk assessment process and methods must be documented in the Operations Manual. Luckily for my clients, my background is safety. Being qualified to GradIOSH status gives me an edge in risk management that I gladly share with my clients.

Can you fly in the rain/wind? – The aircraft we use cannot be flown in the rain. Part of the risk assessment process is to obtain weather forecasts. Typically, we will not fly in winds above 15 mph for safety reasons.

What qualifications do we have? – Paul Simister carries the BNUC-S qualification from EuroUSC, approved by the CAA. This is accompanied by a Permit for Aerial Work from the CAA

Are you insured? – We have full insurance for our aircraft and £5m public liability for both ground and aerial photography.

What are the best things to film/photograph from the air? – To use a cliché; the sky’s the limit!! Seriously though, imagine how amazing it would be if you owned a Golf Course, for your clients to have a ‘ball’s eye’ view of the course from teeing off, down the fairway to the hole. Or how about showing off that grand property you are about to instruct. You could show the architecture and aerial views across the grounds. Any industry will benefit from an alternative aerial view showing not only what you do, but how you do it.